Kitchen Living Room

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fifty signatures later.

So, it's done. After a speedy walk-through wherein I realized that there was still water in the washing machine that had most likely been there since the inspector 'inspected' it by turning it on and then failing to notice that it did not complete the spin cycle, we headed over to the mortgage office to close. (We meaning my boyfriend's mom, myself, and the real estate agent.) Before closing, I requested that the washing machine be fixed. Too late. This is when I learned that the seller was a flipper and had never leaved there or rented the place out. My whole attitude said: Let's just get this paperwork over with.... I guess. I was feeling a little shaky, and I almost wanted to cry, but I am happy to say I did not! Washing machine doesn't work. Ok, I can deal with that. No big deal, right?

Here's what was a big deal: literally seconds before I walked in the office to close the window lady from Home Depot calls me and says: "How old is your condo?" I say, "nearly 100 years or so" (I don't know for sure). Our conversation continues on and the gist is that she says they can't do our windows because the building is too old and it is made of stucco, which they can't or won't repair. So I go into closing thinking, wow, how are we going to get our windows fixed and at what cost?! That did not make for the most pleasant closing process.

Of course during closing I read all of the paperwork (collective mental groan around the room I am sure when everyone realized that I would), but I read quickly and asked questions. I was visibly depressed (I think) throughout the entire process. I hate that, but this has been a difficult decision and process for me because of the whole Tale of Two Cities thing. There were a few mistakes, namely centered around the term of the loan and other numbers-based details. So read every word. It will save you time in the long run.

Once in awhile (well, it's only been two weeks) I have a mini/private meltdown in Target when it hits me that I am shopping alone, going home alone, hanging out at home alone. But overall I am trying to make the best of this situation.

More updates on the renovation process to come! Oh and by the way, I fixed the washing machine with some careful thinking and a bit of duct tape. Every so often the duct tape needs adjusting, but it is doing the trick for now!

P.S. I have since made plans to have three out of six windows replaced, so things are getting along well in that department.

No comments:

Post a Comment