Kitchen Living Room

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Moving Day Checklist

Moving day is here! Well, sort of moving day. Cleaning day. Cleaning day is here! Here's a breakdown of what we want to accomplish first:
  1. Change out smoke detectors for combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. First we have to find out if ours are the hard-wired kind or the battery operated kind. We're looking at these models depending on which kind we need:
  2. Kidde KN-COSM-XTR-B Nighthawk Intelligent Alarm
    Kidde KN-COSM-IB Hardwire Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm
  3. Change out the thermostat from the sliding temperate type to the programmable type. (Read more about that purchase here.)
  4. Shop Vac and steam mop the floors. We have a 6 gallon shop vac (very similar to this one) that I bought my boyfriend at Lowe's for Christmas last year. We also have a steam mop on the way via Amazon Prime (more info on the steam mop here). The shop vac will not be stored in the apartment permanently after the bulk of the cleaning is complete. I'm still considering what route will be prudent space-wise for a vacuum.
  5. Paint. First we have to pick out all of the paint colors. Lately I've been inspired by rooms in muted colors like off-whites, grays, chalky blues, and faint yellows.
  6. Change out the switchplate and outlet covers. No more yucky beige plastic.
  7. Bug bomb. Or not. I still haven't decided if this is going to be worth it. I may set one off one night before I leave for a few days. This one is contingent on whether or not I can figure out the smoke detectors. Because bug bombs have been known to set off smoke detectors, so you have to make sure they are all unplugged before setting off the bomb (or fumigator). I am slightly concerned about the human health risks involved with these bombs. The bugs I am not so concerned about. I am interested in a massacre.

So those are some first priorities. We shall see what I actually get done!

No comments:

Post a Comment